Login into your Prestashop admin and go to “Catalog> products”
Then you will see a page with a list of all of your products.
In order to add a new product click on the “Add New Product” button.
- Type – The type of your product. Here you can choose if you would like to add a single standard product, a pack of existing product or a virtual (downloadable) product.
- Name – The actual name of your product
- Reference Code – Internal reference code
- EAN-13 or JAN barcode – If you have a specific barcode mostly used in Europe and japan
- UPC barcode – If you have a specific barcode mostly used in USA and Canada
- Enabled – If your product should be enabled by default or you would like to completely configure it first
- Visibility – Where the product should be visible on the different areas of your website
- Options – Few options you might consider useful at some point
- Condition – The actual condition of the product
- Short Description – Few words as a brief description for your product
- Description – Here you should type the whole description for the product
- Tags – Here you can add some tags related to your product
As soon as you are done editing the “Information” section you can proceed with the configuration of the other mandatory sections.
In the “Prices” section you will find information mostly related to the price of your product. The configurable options here are quite few and easy to configure. Here they are:
- Wholesale Price – this is the price you paid for the product.
- Retail Price – the price you intend to sell the product to your customers.
- Tax rule – the tax rule that should be applied to the price of the product upon purchase.
- Unit Price – the price per single unit. Mostly used when you are selling a pack of products
Once you are done with that configuration you should use the “Save and Stay” button so you can be landed on the same page when the product is saved.
The next section we will discuss is the “SEO” section and there you should be able to configure the Meta attributes for your product. this section is very important for search engines!
- Meta Tittle – The publically available title for your product’s page
- Meta Description – The description of the product which will appear in the search engine results
- Friendly URL – The human readable slug of the URL leading to your product
The next option is called “Associations” and you there you should be able to configure the categories where you product should be listed. If you expand the “Home” category you will be able to see all the categories currently configured on your store.
From there you can simply check the checkbox before the category you would like to have your product displayed in so the product can be added to that category. Note that you can select multiple categories by checking multiple checkboxes. This will allow to your product to be listed in every category.
NOTE: If you click on “home” as a selection, your product will be listed on the homepage “popular” section.
he other options on the same page are:
- Default category – There you will have the default category for your product listed once you select it from the category tree above.
- Accessories – You can add existing products as accessories to the product you are currently adding.
- Manufacturer – You can select a manufacturer of this product from those you have already added.
If you would like to add a new category or a new manufacturer you can do so with the two links provided for these purposes – “Create New Category” and “Create new manufacturer”.
Next you will find the configuration for the shipping methods under the “Shipping” section. There you should define the parameters of the package for your product, apply some additional shipping fees and also select the carrier for this product in particular.
In order to add a carrier you should simply select the carrier from the list “Available carriers” and move it to the other list called “Selected carriers” so the carrier can be added for this product.
Use the “Save and Stay” or only the “Save” button so you can save the changes and respectively add the product to your website.
Once the product is saved you will be able to see a small “Preview” button appearing at the top horizontal action bar. By clicking on that button you will be able to preview how the product looks on your website.
Keep in mind that there will be no images since those can be added only after the product is saved and you will be able to do so via the “Images” section.