The process is… you create a module… then you assign it to a layout.
- In your store admin, click on the gears icon on the top right of your screen.
- Go to appearance > layouts
Creating a new module
First you must start creating your modules.
In this example, we’ll start with the featured products module.
Go to appearance > layouts
in the list of modules on the left… click the “+” button to add a module (Or click the pencil icon to edit an existing module).
- Module Name: Add a name to the module. You will want to name it something that will relate to where you want it places. For instance “homepage”. So in this tutural… we will name it homepage.
- Products: type in the name of your products into the box and a dropdown will come up. Select your products. Add as many as you like
- Limit: Add a limit of the number of products you want to display. we ususally use 4
- Width: make the width 500px (bigger is always better, it will be scaled down in your theme)
- Height: The hight depends on the height of your product image. If your images are square… then make it 500px x 500px
Lets assign the featured products module to the home page as an example. Using the steps above, make sure you have the “featured products” module created.
Adding module to a layout
Now you want that module to be visible on the homepage.
In the dropdown located at the top of your screen under “edit layouts”, select “home”
Click on “Featured Products” on the left if your new slideshow module isn’t visible. Click and drag the slideshow into the “Content bottom” position.
There isn’t a save button on this page. It has an auto save.
Now your featured products should be visible on your homepage
The available positions are:
- Content top: goes to the top of the page (full width above header)
- Content bottom: goes to the bottom of the page
- Left column: goes to the left column
- Right coloumn: goes to the right column
The default layouts in Opencart are:
- Account – Modules that will be shown on the account page
- Affiliate – Modules that will be shown on the affiliate pages
- Category – Modules that will be shown on the category pages
- Checkout – Modules that will be shown on the checkout pages
- Contact – Modules that will be shown on the checkout pages
- Default – Modules that will be shown all pages that don’t have a layout
- Home – Modules shown on the home page
- Information – Modules that will be shown cms info pages
- Manufacturer – Modules that will be shown on the manufacturer pages
- Product – Modules that will be shown on the product pages
- Sitemap – Modules that will be shown on the sitemap pages