New versions of PrestaShop come every few months, sometimes even weeks apart. Some are major, most are minor, but they all bring a improvements and bug-fixes. It is therefore highly advised to keep up with the latest version.
First before upgrading… make sure your theme can be upgraded to. If your purchased a theme, contact the developer to see if it is compatible with the latest version of Prestashop.
If you purchased a theme from eShopalot… theme upgrades are free.
Installing the 1-Click Upgrade module
- Download the 1-Click Upgrade module from PrestaShop Addons: http://addons.prestashop.com/en/administration-tools/5496-autoupgrade.html. Save the Zip file to your desktop.
- In your PrestaShop administration panel, go to the “Modules” page of the “Modules” menu.
- Click on the “Add a module” button, located at the top right of the list of available modules.
- In the form that opens, click on the “Browse…” button, then find and select the module’s Zip file that you just downloaded.
- Click the “Upload this Module” button. PrestaShop will put the module on your server, unzip it, and place the files in the modules folder.
The module is now available in your list of modules, but you still have to install it:
- In the “Modules” tab, find the 1-Click Upgrade module: type “1-click upgrade” or “autoupgrade” in the module search box (not the global search at the top). A direct link to the module should appear as you type. Click it.
- PrestaShop then displays the module in the main module list.
- Click the module’s “Install” button.
Before you actually upgrade, it’s advised that you make a backup of your database and backup all your files via FTP. That way if you encounter any errors, you can fully restore.
Prestashop’s upgrade system is very stable. I’ve personally never encountered an error or issue during an upgrade. But if your internet cuts up during the upgrade, you may encounter an error. Best to be safe then sorry.
If your ready to begin, first click the button “check to see if a new version is available”.
if not, then you have the latest version.
The pre-upgrade checklist
This is the list you must have in order to make the upgrade. If you have an X next to a list, then you must fix it. Normally the X will be that you have to put your shop into maintenance mode. Make sure you do this.
When you have everything ready… just click “Upgrade Prestashop Now”.
It’s best not to use the internet for anything heavy while doing this. You don’t want to crash your browser during the upgrade. In fact, it’s bests to not use the same browser window to do anything but let the upgrade run.
Rollback to a previous version
Prestashop is super clever! If your not happy with this version of Prestashop, you can roll back to the preview version.